When filtering on the data level, the content needs to:
- Match at least one of the “Filter For Tag” criteria
- Match at least one of the “Filter Out Tag” criteria
- Match at least one of the “Filter For Var” criteria
- Match at least one of the “Filter Out Var” criteria
For example, if I am filtering like so:
- Filter for tags: entertainment, celebrity
- Filter out tags: sports, news
You'll get everything tagged with “entertainment” OR “celebrity” except if they have either the “sports” OR the “news” tag.
Let's say I'm also using vars to filter like so:
Filter For Vars:
- “sailthru_vertical” is celebrity
- “sailthru_industry” is entertainment
Filter Out Vars:
- “sailthru_vertical” is sports
- “sailthru_industry” is news
This will further filter the feed. From the pool of content that was just filtered based on tags, we filter again to ensure that content has either the var “sailthru_vertical” as “celebrity” OR the var “sailthru_industry” as “entertainment”, AND we check that “sailthru_vertical” is not “sports” OR “sailthru_industry” is not “news”.
- Content needs to match one item in each of the four filters: Filter For Tags, Filter Out Tags, Filter For Vars, and Filter Out Vars
- Within the filters themselves, it's an OR statement. If filtering for or out multiple tags/vars, the content only needs to match one of those items, so “tag 1 OR tag 2” or “var 1 OR var 2”, etc.