One of the testing features for an Overlay is to test on a live site without displaying it to end users.
- In overlay editor's Targeting tab, set your overlay's "When" condition to be a very large number of page views, example: 5000.
- Complete all other settings on the overlay as normal.
- Set the overlay to be active.
- Visit the site's pages in question as a visitor (e.g. anonymous visitors). You want to ensure your users are not seeing it by accident.
- Visit the site page you want to test the overlay on.
- Use Chrome Dev Tools or use a Chrome Extension for modifying cookies, such as EditThisCookie. Alternatively, add two Sailthru tags to the URL you would like to preview the Overlay on.
Editing Cookie value:
- Look for a sailthru_pageviews cookie. Modify the value to 5000 to meet the Page view rules set in Step 1.
- Refresh the page and the overlay will appear.
- It is recommended you deactivate the overlay after testing.
Applying Sailthru tags to URL.
- Visit the site's pages in question as a visitor (e.g. anonymous visitors) to see the overlay and ensure they are not seeing it by accident yet.
- Visit the pages with the URL fragments added following a #: STshowOverlay=1 and STpageviewsOverride=1.
- Example: http://www.example.com/#STshowOverlay=1&STpageviewsOverride=1