This article will serve to clear up some of the expectations and differences between a Push and a Rich Push Notification.
Expectation: The Rich Push experience is that if a user opens a Rich Push message and opens it it will contain a deeplink.
Clarification: If the user holds down on the rich push, the image that is loaded to Carnival in the link-type message will show. When they click on the push notification or "tap through" they will land on the deep linked page (either in-app or a mobile website)
Expectation: If a user opens a push notification they will not get a second in-app notification.
Clarification: In Carnival you can choose to send a message in three ways, which are listed below along with the *default* behavior for messages:1. In-app message w/ out a push attached to it via the In-app Messages "Create New" Message Builder (push field left blank)
- User will by default get an in-app notification + a message in the Message Stream when they open the app next
- User will get the push notification if the app is closed and they are opted into push
- If the user taps the push, they'll open the app to either the Message Stream or to a link if the message contains a deep link
- If the user does not receive the push bc they aren't opted in, or does not read/tap the push, they will get the in-app notification the next time they open the app --- since we'll by default show the last unread message as an in-app notification
- If the user is using the app at the time the push notification is received, Carnival will suppress the push and show the user the in-app notification during the current app session
- User will receive push if they are opted into push
- If the user taps the push, they will open to either the app generally, or to the deep link destination
- If the user is not opted into push, they would not receive any message
*Please note that these are the default behaviors.
Expectation: There is a way to make a pure push a rich push.
Clarification: Yes, there is:
The above tech doc has more information, they can use the custom data + category fields in the interface to specify that it's a rich push and the image URL. They can also send these via API.